Tuesday, August 09, 2005

funny


funny how God works sometimes...

when i enroled in bible school during the fall of '83, i thought that i was basically signing on for a year of camp- that and the hope of meeting other musicians withwhom i would launch my big recording career. not exactly the best reasons to go, but whatever.

i remember telling my girlfriend at the time to quit fretting because it's not like i was going off to find a wife or something.

we never kissed again.

in fact, i was basically dead wrong on all counts. funny how God works sometimes.

yet, after a year and a half of it with limited academic success i realized that, although i had met a beautiful girl and fallen in love, i was not going to be a preacher or a missionary or a youth pastor and so any further time there would be wasted. i enroled in university in the faculty of education and got on with life. married in 85 and graduated in 88... been married and teaching ever since.

funny how God works sometimes.

about five years ago, God said 'okay, you've had your fun- now let's try this again.' i found myself once again taking classes and asking myself 'if God were to call you here, could you move here?' on holidays. mrs jollybeggar was thinking the same things at the same time.

this and that happened and today i sit in my office at the church, reflecting upon having just finished doing the youth pastor thing at a camp, and suffering a bit of anxiety on the eve of a missionary trip to sri lanka. the only real bummer on this one is that mrs jollybeggar won't be able to accompany me on this trip. however, i know that there will be others...

funny how God works sometimes.

(i say all this to say that i won't be posting anything until the end of august. shalom)

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Johnny said...

Have a great trip!

Funny, don't talk to me about funny:)

The funny thing is that there is a very fine line between funny and tragedy not to mention between philosophy and tyranny.

Hear and see God my friend and be blessed.

8/10/2005  
Blogger jollybeggar said...

found an internet cafe here in negombo... hello from the other side of the world.

walked in the surf of the indian ocean this morning.

8/12/2005  
Blogger marcythewhore said...

marcythewhore says: Erica says goodbye (but she left her email addy....it's debatable whether a girl addicted to exhibitionism says and she leaves her eamil addy is really and truly committed to changing her ways).........marcythewhore

From Erica:

So here’s the deal.

I think it’s time for me to bid you all adieu.

I’ve spent about a year (on and off) sharing the most intimate details of my sex life with strangers. It’s been great getting honest feedback about my writing, my potential psychosis, and stirring the pot, challenging people to think about a sex positive active female as something other than a slut.

Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn’t.

My personal revolution is nearing its end. I’m tired of dishing details.

And, as a parting, final note –

I think I’ve found my hearts and stars. I’m dating a wonderful man who is so like me in so many ways. He makes me swoon. We’re inseparable. And since the first moment we met, both of us have been absolutely astounded at how different, and how much better this relationship is than anything that has ever come before. We have to assure eachother every day – “maybe this IS just how it is supposed to be.”

Last night we had a great talk. While we cuddled on the couch, he brought up the fact that the night before, I had haphazardly thrown into conversation an explicit detail about my past sexual exploits. It bothered him.

He says that the past is the past, and although your past affects who you are today and how you got here, there is nothing to be gained by dishing secrets. He also feels that what goes on in the bedroom between two people should stay there.

Out of respect for the man I am well on my way to falling in love with, I’m taking the details down. I think it’s healthy and right. Archives will be gone as soon as i technically figure out how to do that.

Thanks for reading, guys.

~e
ericalooking@gmail.com

8/13/2005  
Blogger jollybeggar said...

speaking of happy endings!

8/13/2005  
Blogger marcythewhore said...

Happy Endings you say?

Sometimes I get so frustrated and disappointed in the way you men just don't understand women.

An addicted exhibitionist who says goodbye while leaving her email addy isn't going that far away........marcythewhore

8/15/2005  
Blogger jollybeggar said...

yeah, i get what you're saying. hadn't thought of it that way.

i guess the only comfort(?) in there is that there are probably a lot of people who take things wrong (or miss them altogether) based on what they're looking for.

so many things seem to be about advertising to a specific market.

as for life change... successive approximations is the most that people can accomplish sometimes. like the smoker who keeps his or her last cigarette?

or, perhaps it IS a backdoor left open to the same old demon, rather than risking waking up the family.

who can say?

8/27/2005  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home